Select a PressbooksEDU plan that works best for your institution.
Need help figuring out the right plan? Contact us.
Included in All Plans
- Web, PDF, EPUB, MOBI, XML exports
- Public and private content control
- Brandable (logo/colors) PB network
- Open content cloning
- Graceful support for interactive content
- Downloadable book exports
- Unlimited books, up to storage limit
- Unlimited view-only users, up to web view limit, on public books
- Backups 3x per day
- Ongoing maintenance, patches & updates
- Cover generator
- 20+ Premium themes
- Online video tutorials
- Online documentation
- 3rd Party Integrations:
- Integrated H5P quiz builder
- Hypothes.is annotation
- Network-level Google Analytics
Why should we host with Pressbooks?
Values: Openness, Control, Creation, Accessibility
Pressbooks has been around since 2011, and we are driven by a set of values aligned with educational institutions: openness, user control, and the power of creation.
We believe in OPEN: Pressbooks is open source software, which means that if we change our terms, or do something you are not happy with, you can move your Pressbooks system and content elsewhere. This keeps us honest, and gives you long-term control over all your data. In addition to being open source, we are also active advocates of the open web, open content and open education. Of course, Pressbooks doesn’t force content to be “open” — this is the user’s decision. But the power of open is at the core of how Pressbooks is built, and how we run our company.
We believe that users of Pressbooks (whether authors/publishers/academic institutions) should have CONTROL over what happens to the content developed on the system, and how user data is used. We take user privacy seriously. Our interest is in supporting creation and publishing. Our business model is not to spy on users, to capture student or user information, to control access to content, or to control what happens to content developed on Pressbooks networks. Our model is to make a great, easy-to-use, platform for creating and publishing books, courses, and similar long-form structured content, and to give our users and clients full control over what happens next.
Pressbooks is built to enable CREATION. We believe profoundly that creation is the most powerful human act. We strive to give our users easy and power ways to create and share books, courses and other long-form content. Pressbooks was conceived specifically to enable new models and approaches to book publishing, so that authors, faculty, students, and other new kinds of publishers could easily create and share their work with the world.
Ensuring ACCESSIBILITY in Pressbooks as software, and in the books/content created with Pressbooks is a core commitment. We work with the Inclusive Design Research Centre at OCADU in Toronto to make continuous improvements to Pressbooks, and while we are not 100% where we would like to be, accessibility is an integral part of our development process. You can read our accessibility statement here.
History, Experience and Success
When we talk about these core values, it is not just words. We have been around since 2011, and you can read about our long-standing commitment to the values above in articles and slide decks from over the years, including: An Open, Webby Book Publishing Platform (2010), Opening the Book (2012), Book as API (2013), Book as URL (2013).
Since we launched in 2011, we have supported faculty, students and traditional and non-traditional publishers of many stripes in their efforts to make books. We’ve been embraced by libraries supporting faculty publishing, and the Open Textbook movement generally. Pressbooks is fundamental publishing infrastructure for many faculty publishing programs, including those at: Unizin (University of Minnesota, University of Wisconsin Madison, Ohio State University, Indiana University, University of Michigan and 10 other institutions), UC Berkeley, eCampusOntario, BCcampus, OpenSUNY, OpenOregon, Tufts Medical School, Rutgers University, and many more. Over the years, Pressbooks has supported thousands of authors creating books, from scholarly monographs, to self-published novels, to large open textbooks.
We are the Pressbooks experts
We truly care about helping academic institutions support new kinds of faculty and student-driven publishing. We are experts in Pressbooks hosting (see technical details below), and no one knows Pressbooks better than we do: We can provide the best training and support out there, and guidance about what is and is not possible. And finally, if you care about new models of publishing and open source software that gives full control to the users to support creation as they see fit, then it makes sense to work with us to ensure that Pressbooks continues to grow and improve to meet your needs, and the needs of the changing academic publishing landscape.
As Pressbooks experts, we have a robust infrastructure that is tailored to the needs of Pressbooks at scale. PressbooksEDU is hosted in an Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) in Canada, using:
- Amazon EC2 running Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial, PHP 7.1, and nginx for application hosting
- Amazon EBS for file hosting (uploads and exports), backed up to Amazon S3
- Amazon RDS for database hosting
We use three primary tools to build and manage Pressbooks EDU infrastructure and networks:
- Terraform builds and manages server and database infrastructure on the Amazon cloud, based on clearly defined specifications tuned to our product requirements by an AWS-certified consultant;
- Ansible provisions servers and databases using our customized version of the Trellis 12-factor WordPress application stack;
- wp-cli is used with Ansible to complete the initial setup of new Pressbooks EDU networks and helps with other ongoing maintenance tasks such as WordPress database upgrades.
We are rigorous in applying system security best-practices, including implementation of:
- 12-factor application methodology for stability, maintainability and reproducibility of infrastructure
- PHP 7.1 and all the most recent versions and patches of WordPress and all plugins
- DDOS protection using fail2ban
- Comprehensive server monitoring via Amazon CloudWatch and New Relic
PressbooksEDU networks are backed up daily with the ability to rapidly restore databases, file uploads and exports should the need arise. All infrastructure and server configuration information is maintained under version control, using Ansible Vault and git-crypt for secrets. Because of this, we can efficiently rebuild infrastructure from backups in the event of system failures, viruses, malware, accidental data loss, or other catastrophes, calamities, or unforeseen events.
Updates and dependency management
Our development team handles all updates and maintenance to hosted Pressbooks networks, so that PressbooksEDU systems are always running the latest release of Pressbooks (released on a weekly deploy schedule with updates and changes). WordPress and all plugins and dependencies are tested and updated as necessary on our infrastructure before deployment. Testing protocols are reviewed regularly, and updated to reflect the needs of our high-volume networks.
Among the dependencies and integrations that we handle on PressbooksEDU systems are the following:
- EpubCheck, the validation tool for EPUB files.
- PrinceXML/DocRaptor, premium PDF rendering engine
- KindleGen, the Amazon-developed conversion tool that produces ebook files for Amazon e-readers such as Kindle HDX, Kindle Fire, etc.
- SaxonHE, the required library for OpenDocument file exports.
- Xmllint, the required library for validation of (X)HTML outputs.
**Pressbooks provides integrations to a few select 3rd-party plugins/services (such as H5P and Hypothes.is). As these are 3rd party applications, we cannot guarantee the code/services provided by another party. It is our policy to contact 3rd parties with bug reports if and when issues arise. However, we have no control over the timeline or nature of fixes by these entities.
Roadmap and Custom Development
What if I decide to move from hosted to self-hosted Pressbooks?
The power of open source software is that you can control your own applications and content – and never have to worry about another company locking you out. We feel strongly about this, which is why we commit, in the case you wish to leave us, to providing a clear roadmap for full-exports of databases, and all content.